Friday, September 21, 2007

Bonds will not play for Giants in 2008

San Francisco Giants' outfielder Barry Bonds will not be in a Giants' uniform next season. Owner Peter Magowan broke the news to Bonds this past week.

The 43-year old Bonds has spent 15 of his 22 professional seasons in San Francisco, in which span he led the Giants to four postseason appearances and one World Series appearance in 2002. Bonds is batting .279 with 28 home runs and 66 RBI this year and broke Hank Aaron's all-time home run record by slamming his 756th career long ball against the Washington Nationals in August. He has hit six homers since, making his total 762.

However, the Home Run King will not retire. "There is more baseball in me and I plan on continuing my career," said Bonds. "My quest for a World Series ring continues." Bonds was also not too thrilled with San Francisco's decision to inform him on such short notice. "Although I am disappointed, I've always said baseball is a business, and I respect their decision. However, I am saddened and upset that I was not given an earlier opportunity to properly say goodbye to you, my fans, and celebrate with the city throughout the season as I truly believe this was not a last-minute decision by the Giants, but one that was made some time ago."

No comments: